Questions & Answers: One Fine Day

This question & answer moved over from my formspring account. This question was  originally asked in December 2010.

If you woke up one morning to find yourself miraculously healed, what would you do?

The first thing I’d do would be run upstairs and, uh, tell Chimp (I’ve only been upstairs three or four times, I think, and I’ve never seen the guest room in person). After I got done with that, I’d run back downstairs, dig out my workout clothes, pull on my running shoes, and go outside for a run to explore our neighborhood. (I lost my ability to work out immediately on becoming ill. The last time I walked a mile was in 2004, and it took me 25 minutes.)

After a 45-minute or so run, I’d grab a shower (standing up, rather than a bath sitting down, and without needing Chimp’s help to wash my hair), get dressed (in clothes other than loose-fitting pajamas), and make myself some breakfast (not kefir, which I drink by Dr. Cheney’s direction, and which I vigorously dislike). Maybe I’d have oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar, maybe some shredded wheat with soymilk and bananas. At this point I’d call my folks and Chimp’s folks and tell them I was well.

Then I’d go sit down (sitting up!) at the computer for a couple hours, update my resume, write a cover letter, and send it out to everyone I know whom I reasonably could.

I’d round Chimp up and take him out to lunch somewhere in Pittsburgh. I would drive. (I always loved to drive.) Then we would trawl the vintage and thrift shops all afternoon, looking for stuff for the house and vintage clothing for me. I’d be primarily after the 1940s-1960s women’s suits I always loved to wear to the office.

In the late afternoon, we’d stop by Whole Foods and buy stuff to make for dinner. Back at home, I’d turn on some music (not needing to worry any more about it wearing me out) and prep and cook dinner for the first time since 2007. We’d sit at the table and eat together (instead of me eating in my dayroom, lying down). I’d call my best friends to tell them the good news (it’s been years since I could manage phone conversations) and I’d make plans to come out to Virginia and Maryland (last time I was in Virginia, where I grew up, was 2006; Maryland, where Chimp’s folks live, 2003).

We’d break out a movie (since I would be able to watch video for more than a few minutes at a time), snuggle up together on the couch and watch it. When it was time to go to sleep, we’d get in bed together (because of how much trouble I have sleeping, we haven’t been able to share a bed since 2005).

If all that sounds like a pretty normal Saturday to you, there’s a reason for that. I don’t want to be a triathlete or anything – it really would be miraculous, just to have what others would term a normal day.

This entry was posted in ME/CFS, q&a and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Questions & Answers: One Fine Day

  1. Pingback: My Sergeant Pepper Moment | No Poster Girl

  2. Pingback: Happy Blogiversary to Me | No Poster Girl

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s